Key West - On your next trip to Key West, Florida, make sure to hit up the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square that takes place every evening of the year. This fantastic experience first started in the 1960s and is growing more and more each year. Mallory Square is located on the northwest corner of Key West between the Westin and Hyatt hotels. The physical address is 1 Whitehead Street. Parking is available but limited and there is a fee so if you are staying at a local hotel its best to walk, taxi or find a shuttle if you can. There is no fee for attending the celebration.
Hundreds of people begin to gather approximately 2 hours before the sunset. There are arts and crafts, as well as street performers like balancing acts, jugglers, sword swallowers and others. You can see a current list of performers, artists, crafters and more that are currently there at the website of the Key West Cultural Preservation Society which can be found at sunsetcelebration.org. Drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) as well as food are available for purchase.
If you want to head to the area earlier, there is a long list of attractions nearby that a person could spend most of the day enjoying!
Nearby attractions include:
- • Truman Little White House
- • Oldest House & Garden Museum
- • Southernmost Point in the United States
- • Fort Zachary Taylor State Park
- • USCGC Ingham Maritime Museum
- • Key West Shipwreck Museum
- • Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory
- • Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum
- • Key West Firehouse Museum
- • Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum
- • Key West First Legal Rum Distillery
So next time you are in the Keys, make it a point to not miss the Sunset Celebration. It is an experience that everyone should take in at least once in their lifetime!